Neil N. Olsen, JD, Shareholder
Neil Olsen represents property owners in eminent domain, regulatory takings, inverse condemnation, and property rights proceedings, ensuring that they receive their constitutionally-guaranteed rights to due process and just compensation. He publishes the blog, and co-authored the Oregon Property Owners' Handbook: Eminent Domain and Just Compensation Under Oregon Law.
Neil is experienced in all forms of dispute resolution, from mediation and arbitration to trial and appeal. Over the course of his career and in addition to his condemnation law practice, he has litigated disputes related to real estate transactions, commercial leases, land use regulations, vested rights, Measure 49 claims, commercial contracts, construction projects, employment matters, wills and trusts, and various business torts.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Neil served as a legislative analyst for the Texas House of Representatives.
Oregon Super Lawyer Magazine: "Rising Star" in Eminent Domain, 2012–2013
Eminent Domain and Condemnation
- Represent property owners whose property is targeted for condemnation by TriMet, ODOT,WSDOT, and other public entities in Oregon and Washington.
- Represent property owners in eminent domain, regulatory takings, and inverse condemnation proceedings.
- Regular speaker on public infrastructure projects and protection of property owners’just compensation and due process rights when faced with takings.
- Represent property owners in Measure 49 claims, including administrative and judicial review proceedings.
- Represent property owners in vested rights cases.
- Represented property owner group in its successful efforts to alter major road-widening project planned for established residential area.
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented commercial property seller in enforcement of earnest money promissory note.
- Represented commercial land contract vendor in breach of contract and trust deed foreclosure claims.
- Represented commercial tenant in dispute with landlord regarding breach of signage provisions in lease and breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment.
- Represented buyer of multiple commercial properties in defense of breach of contract claims by the seller of the properties and prosecution of counterclaims for breach of contract and intentional misrepresentation by the seller.
- Represented property owner in boundary line dispute with neighbor.
Business and Real Estate Transactions
- Represented national wireless communications company in negotiating leases for office and retail space.
- Represented national communications infrastructure company in negotiating leases for office and technical space.
- Represented purchaser of substantial agricultural properties and subsequent leasing of those properties to producers.
- Represented buyers of residential subdivision lots in structuring special purposed entities and contractual relationships necessary for the finance, purchase, and build-out of the lots.
- Represented seller ofmanufacturing business in structuring purchase and sale transaction.
- Represented regional specialty contractor in acquisition of new facility.
Commercial, Employment and General Litigation
- Represented national imaging company in prosecution of trade secret and non-disclosure claims against two former employees.
- Represented regional telecommunications company in prosecution of trade secret, non-disclosure, and non-competition claims against two former employees.
- Represented home builder in insurance coverage dispute with the carrier of its commercial general liability policy.
- Represented regional restaurant company in enforcement of arbitration agreement with former employee, resulting in favorable outcome for the client.
- Represented regional pharmaceutical company in enforcement of contract with skilled nursing facility.
- Represented specialty contractor in defense of wage claims by former employee and pursuit of separate trade secret, non-disclosure, and business tort claims against the former employee.
- Represented various employers in defense of wage and hour claims, statutory discrimination claims, and employment-based common law tort claims.
- Represented trust department of major bank in defending petition to terminate a trust.
- Represented nonprofit beneficiary of a will in defending interests in will contest proceeding.
- Represented trustee in breach of fiduciary duty and accounting matter against co-trustee.
- Represented developer in breach of contract and construction defect claims against general contractor.
- Counseled numerous contractors, architects and engineers in relation to drafting and interpreting construction and consulting contracts,
- risk minimization, and regulatory compliance.
- Represented numerous contractors, subcontractors, architects and engineers in construction lien matters.
- Represented numerous contractors and subcontractors in contract and construction defect litigation.
- : Blog on Eminent Domain, Regulatory Takings, Inverse Condemnation and Property Rights Litigation
- Oregon Property Owners' Handbook: Eminent Domain and Just Compensation Under Oregon Law
- Collateral Damage from Newberg-Dundee Bypass Project, Daily Journal of Commerce, December 19, 2013
- Columbia River Crossing Will Impact 200 Properties, Portland Business Journal, November 12, 2012
- Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail "Mega Project" Moves Forward, Daily Journal of Commerce, April 26, 2011
- J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 2005
- Executive Editor, Lewis & Clark Law Review
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Michael W. Mosman, United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- Business Roundtable Scholar
- B.A., Government, University of Texas at Austin, 1998
- Oregon State Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- Washington State Bar