Rebecca E. Russell, JD
Rebecca Russell represents clients in a variety of areas of law as a litigator and transactional lawyer. Her primary efforts are currently geared toward helping businesses and property owners.
She comes to Zupancic Rathbone after operating her own solo immigration law practice in Salem, Oregon. Before going solo, Rebecca worked for a small firm practicing immigration law. Rebecca also has experience with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, bankruptcy proceedings, child support modification, estate planning, property law, and construction disputes.
Rebecca graduated the Valedictorian of her class at Willamette University College of Law, summa cum laude. While attending Willamette University, she completed an externship with Judge Ellen Rosenblum at the Oregon Court of Appeals, where she experienced the workings of our appellate court system first-hand by participating in pre-and post-argument conferences with the judges, summarizing parties'arguments and the law in bench memos for Judge Rosenblum, and drafting a judicial opinion.
- Part of ZR's litigation team, battling for property owners to receive fair market value when the government takes their property.
- Successfully obtained just compensation for commercial and private property owners whose land was taken for new roads and schools.
Business and Real Estate Transactions
- Create organizational documents for immigration clients'new businesses.
- Update company documents for growing companies.
- Protect businesses from predatory lenders.
- Value warrants and evaluate their enforceability.
- Negotiate and create commercial leases.
- Review and analyze deeds and easements to ascertain property owners'rights.
- Successfully defended home owners in a dispute with a construction company that was trying to collect payment for unauthorized work.
- Obtained proof of citizenship for a U.S. citizen teenager, born outside of the U.S. (click here for article).
- Advocated for immigrants in removal proceedings.
- Advised immigrants of their rights and assisted them with the necessary paperwork and evidence to come to the United States for the first time or to remain here legally.
- Successfully applied for countless immigrant families to gain lawful permanent residence, citizenship, deferred action, or Victim Visa status so they no longer fear deportation.
- Successfully obtained the necessary documents to allow immigrant small business owners to continue doing business in the U.S.
Administrative Hearings and District Court Proceedings
- Successfully litigated child support modification.
- Administered probate court filings.
- Represented debtors at meetings of creditors.
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Protected consumers from harassing debt collection procedures by prosecuting lawsuits under consumer protection statutes.
- "Unlawful Versus Unfair: A Comparative Analysis of Oregon's and Connecticut's Statutes Encouraging Private Attorneys General to Protect Consumers", Willamette Law Review, Summer 2011.
- Guest speaker on FayDay Show May 18, 2013 on 1430 KYKN radio in Salem, Oregon talking about American immigration and why we need immigration reform.
- J.D.,Willamette University College of Law, Valedictorian 2011, Summa cum laude
- First recipient of the Aristeion Symeon Symeonides Award
- Note and Comment Editor, Willamette Law Review, Elected 2L Law Review
Member of the Year by peers
- Moot Court Board
Competed at Boston Regional National Appellate Advisory Competition 2011
- Writer,Willamette Law On-line
9th Circuit Service and U.S. Supreme Court ServiceWriter of the Month
- Section Six First Year Appellate Competition Winner
- High Paper, Law and Education
- Honors, Legal Research &Writing, High Paper Spring 2009
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Ford Scholar
- B.S., Interdisciplinary Studies: Biology, Psychology, and Health, Western Oregon
University, 2000, suma cum laude
- Board Member, Global Mission Readiness
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Church Youth Group Advisor, past Early Morning Seminary Teacher
- Coordinator, Missoula Children's Theatre's annual tour in the Salem-Keizer School District
- McNary High School Post-High School Opportunity Advisor
Bar and Court Admissions
- Oregon, 2011
- Federal District Court for the District of Oregon, 2013